02/03/2015

Sketch A Day 2015 - Day 56 - Mandala

I had no idea what a Mandala was when this topic was set apart from it being a round decorative image.....

http://timeavarga.com/
The word "mandala" is from the classical Indian language of Sanskrit. Loosely translated to mean "circle," a mandala is far more than a simple shape. It represents wholeness, and can be seen as a model for the organizational structure of life itself--a cosmic diagram that reminds us of our relation to the infinite, the world that extends both beyond and within our bodies and minds.

Describing both material and non-material realities, the mandala appears in all aspects of life: the celestial circles we call earth, sun, and moon, as well as conceptual circles of friends, family, and community.

A mandala is...

An integrated structure 
organized around a 
unifying center
Longchenpa

I came across this website that gives a really good explanation of how to attempt drawing a Mandala ... follow this link to see how.  How To Draw Mandalas  

I didn't follow these guides and ended up with the following attempt....



Not quite sure I properly embraced the meaning and belief behind them.  I think I'll try again and use my favorite medium watercolour as that would be a lot more relaxing.  Or perhaps it would just end up the same = Uncentered, I do feel like my life is a little off center and disorganised :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts